India is celebrating its 72nd republic day today, i.e., January 26, 2021, marking it with grand celebrations in the national capital and across the country.
Republic Day is celebrated every year to commemorate the day the Indian Constitution came into effect, and the country became an independent republic.
Though the Indian Constituent Assembly adopted the Constitution on November 26, 1949, it came into effect on January 26, 1950.
When India became independent on August 14, 1947, it still didn’t have its own Constitution. Instead, the laws were based on the modified colonial Government of India Act 1935.
Every year, on this day, magnificent parades are organized by the regiments of the Indian Army, Air Force, Navy, police, and paramilitary forces in New Delhi.
However, the republic celebrations this year are a bit different due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Even the British PM Boris Johnson has canceled his prescheduled visit to India on this Republic Day due to the pandemic.
Republic Day: A Glance at Interesting Facts!
- On January 26, 1929, the Indian National Congress made the Declaration of Indian Independence as opposed to British rule
- The Constituent Assembly met for the first time on December 9, 1946 in the Constitution Hall
- Two weeks later, a drafting committee under the Chairmanship of Dr. B R Ambedkar was appointed for drafting the Constitution of India
- The drafting committee took almost three years to complete its historic task of drafting the Indian Constitution
- The Constituent Assembly adopted the Constitution on November 26, 1949
- On January 24, 1950, the Constituent Assembly members signed two handwritten copies of the Constitution, one in English and one in Hindi. After two days, on January 26, 1950, the Constitution came into effect.
- Since then, January 26 is celebrated to mark the day the Indian Constitution replacing the Government of India Act (1935)
- On the same day, Dr. Rajendra Prasad became the first President of India.
- Indian Constitution is the lengthiest written constitution in the world.
- The Constituent Assembly became the Parliament of India under the transitional provisions of the new Constitution
Republic Day Celebrations from Rajpath, New Delhi – Live!
IndianEra Wishes Everyone a Very Happy Republic Day 2021!