This page covers all important live updates, government notifications, celebrity and political quotes, key press releases, etc., related to the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) that made to the top headlines since the Bill got introduced in the Indian Parliament.
Here it goes…
- “We did talk about religious freedom. Prime Minister Modi wants people to have religious freedom in India…If you look back India has worked hard for religious freedom. I don’t want to say anything on CAA. It is up to India. I hope it will take the right decision for its people,” Donald Trump, US President
- “These decisions were necessary in the interest of the nation. Duniya bhar ke saarey dabao ke bawjood, inn faislon par hum qayam hain aur qayam rahengey (Despite pressure from all sides, we remain firm on these decisions and will continue to remain firm,” PM Narendra Modi on CAA.
- “CAA divides people based on religion and we are firm on our stand opposing it. We will not allow its implementation (CAA, NRC, NPR) in Puducherry. We do not care if we would remain in power or not fortaking a principled stand,” says Narayanasamy, Puducherry CM.
- “The discriminatory laws being put in place will make millions of people — not just Muslims — illegal in their own lands, for lack of proper documentation, or even minor errors in their documents,” says Kashif Hoda, a Cambridge resident and Muslim immigrant from India.
- “The Seattle City Council opposes the National Register of Citizens and the Citizenship Amendment Act in India, and finds these policies to be discriminatory to Muslims, oppressed castes, women, indigenous, and LGBT people,” reads a message from ani-CAA resolution by the Seattle City Council passed on February 03, 2020.
- “The European Parliament is currently planning to hold a debate on legislation adopted by the Government of India last December…It is important to recall that these texts are only drafts tabled by various political groups in the European Parliament,” – EU Spokesperson for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Virginie Battu-Henriksson
- “The matter is uppermost in everybody’s mind. We will form a five-judge bench and then list the case. Will pass order on granting any interim relief to petitioner opposing CAA after four weeks,” says Supreme Court.
- “The patterns of Islamophobic rhetoric, unlawful detention, surveillance and police brutality in India are chillingly similar to the treatment of black and brown people we’ve seen in the U.S,” says Lakshmi Sridharan, interim executive director of the advocacy group South Asian Americans Leading Together.
- “Scared? Who said anything about fear. I have never been in a protest before but I will not be moving and if I die here, then I will die fighting for my children and my country,” said Asma Khatun, a (90-year-old citizen.
- Many of the government’s supporters are upset that university students, academics and scientists are also opposing the new law. But they must know that freedom of expression is core to a university’s mission; that the ability of citizens to protest peacefully against government policies is a right, not a privilege; and that the state should provide protection to such dissent,” Nature journal said in its editorial on CAA protests.
- “I think what is happening is sad… It’s just bad…. I would love to see a Bangladeshi immigrant who comes to India and creates the next unicorn in India or becomes the next CEO of Infosys” Satya Nadella, CEO, Microsoft.
- “Police has brought reality in light. It is clear that left-wing students’ outfits were involved in the (JNU) attack,” Prakash Javadekar, Union Minister
- “The CAA law that has been passed in my judgment should be turned down by the Supreme Court on the grounds of it being unconstitutional because you cannot have certain types of fundamental human rights linking citizenship with religious differences,” says Amartya Sen, Nobel Laureate
- UP First to Implement CAA, Sends Refugees List to Center
- “Currently, there are peaceful protests happening in universities in the country, but unfortunately these peaceful protests are being suppressed in BJP-ruled states,” says Former Union minister Yashwant Sinha.
- “If any one has any grievances they can turn up for debates and parties were welcome to have a debate in a “peaceful manner” in Parliament on CAA” – Union Minister Suresh C Angadi
- NPR form asking for six new details, won’t allow the exercise – Mamata Banerjee, West Bengal CM
- 106 retired bureaucrats including former Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung, former Chief Information Commissioner Wajahat Habibullah, etc., urge citizens to insist Center to repeal CAA
IndianEra News Coverage
- UNHRC Against CAA in SC, India Strikes Back!
- Delhi Riots on CAA: India ‘Serious’ At Iran’s Remarks!
- #DelhiViolence: ‘Take Serious Efforts to Protect Muslims and Others’
- Trump for Citizenship Amendment Act, Says Pro ‘Religious Freedom’
- CAA: ‘AICC leaders Sonia, Rahul To Lose Indian Citizenship’
- Demand for ‘NRC Review’ in Assam: 4 Jihadis, 80 Lakh Foreigners Included!
- Anti-CAA Resolution: After Seattle Now Cambridge, Who’s Next?
- Assam’s NRC Data Vanishes, Raises Concern!
- India CAA: Bengal To Witness 1st Auction of ‘Enemy’ Properties!
- 1 Lakh Bangladeshis Residing in India Illegally: Govt
- Seattle – First US Legislative Body To Pass ‘Anti-CAA Resolution’
- 21,000 Foreigners Get Indian Citizenship Between 2010-2019
- ‘Anti-CAA Drafts in EU Parliament Sponsored by Pak Via British MEPs’
- Anti-CAA Resolution in EU Parliament, India Says ‘Internal Matter’!
- Supreme Court ‘No’ To Holding Citizenship Amendment Act
- CAA is Live Now, GoI Issues Gazette Notification
- CAA Protests: SC Holds All Petitions Until Violence Ends!
- 2019 Major Internet Shutdowns: India Ranks 3rd Globally
- Citizenship Bill 2019: Amid Violent Protests, PM Assures ‘Clause 6’ for NE States!
- ‘Citizenship Amendment Act Has Nothing To Do With Indian Muslims’
- Citizenship (Amendment) Bill on ‘Big Debate’ in Indian Parliament
- Citizenship Amendment Bill 2019 Passed in Lok Sabha
- UN Condemns Citizenship Amendment Bill 2019
- Amit Shah Speaks To the Nation!
Posted by IndianEra, 10/01/2020