This page covers all important live updates, government notifications, celebrity and political quotes, key press releases, etc., related to the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) that made to the top headlines since the Bill got introduced in the Indian Parliament.
Here it goes…
1) 16th January 2020
- Many of the government’s supporters are upset that university students, academics and scientists are also opposing the new law. But they must know that freedom of expression is core to a university’s mission; that the ability of citizens to protest peacefully against government policies is a right, not a privilege; and that the state should provide protection to such dissent,” Nature journal said in its editorial on CAA protests.
2) 14th January 2020
- “I think what is happening is sad… It’s just bad…. I would love to see a Bangladeshi immigrant who comes to India and creates the next unicorn in India or becomes the next CEO of Infosys” Satya Nadella, CEO, Microsoft
- “Police has brought reality in light. It is clear that left-wing students’ outfits were involved in the (JNU) attack,” Prakash Javadekar, Union Minister
2) 13th January 2020
- “The CAA law that has been passed in my judgment should be turned down by the Supreme Court on the grounds of it being unconstitutional because you cannot have certain types of fundamental human rights linking citizenship with religious differences,” says Amartya Sen, Nobel Laureate
- UP First to Implement CAA, Sends Refugees List to Center
3) 10th January 2020
- “Currently, there are peaceful protests happening in universities in the country, but unfortunately these peaceful protests are being suppressed in BJP-ruled states,” says Former Union minister Yashwant Sinha.
- “If any one has any grievances they can turn up for debates and parties were welcome to have a debate in a “peaceful manner” in Parliament on CAA” – Union Minister Suresh C Angadi
- NPR form asking for six new details, won’t allow the exercise – Mamata Banerjee, West Bengal CM
- 106 retired bureaucrats including former Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung, former Chief Information Commissioner Wajahat Habibullah, etc., urge citizens to insist Center to repeal CAA
IndianEra News Coverage
- CAA is Live Now, GoI Issues Gazette Notification
- CAA Protests: SC Holds All Petitions Until Violence Ends!
- 2019 Major Internet Shutdowns: India Ranks 3rd Globally
- Citizenship Bill 2019: Amid Violent Protests, PM Assures ‘Clause 6’ for NE States!
- ‘Citizenship Amendment Act Has Nothing To Do With Indian Muslims’
- Citizenship (Amendment) Bill on ‘Big Debate’ in Indian Parliament
- Citizenship Amendment Bill 2019 Passed in Lok Sabha
- UN Condemns Citizenship Amendment Bill 2019
- Amit Shah Speaks To the Nation!