India’s pace bowler Jasprit Bumra must be on cloud nine!
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) honored the fast bowler with two prestigious awards for his outstanding performance in the world cricket.
Bumrah was rewarded with the Dilip Sardesai Award for being the highest test wicket-taker in 2018-19 and the Polly Umrigar award for being the best international cricketer.
“Grateful and honoured to be taking these two awards home tonight,” Bumrah tweeted on January 12, 2020.
Bumrah, who is also the world’s No.1 ODI bowler, made his Test debut in January 2018 during the Team India’s South Africa tour.
The Indian bowler is also known as the first and only Asian cricketer for his five-wicket haul in South Africa, England, Australia and the West Indies matches.
Bumrah was also the man who contributed majorly to the 2-1 historic test win in Australia.
Apart from Bumrah in the men’s category, others who won the prestigious awards include:
- Poonam Yadav – Best international women cricketer
- Chetshwar Pujara – For 677-run score in 8 matches at 52.07 average, including 3 centuries and 2 half-centuries
- Mayank Agarwal – Best international debut (men) player
- Shivam Dube – For Lala Amarnath Award as the best all-rounder in Ranji Trophy 2018-19
- Nitish Rana – For Lala Amarnath Award as the best all-rounder in domestic limited-overs competition 2018-19
- Virender Sharma – Best Umpire Award in domestic cricket 2018-19
- Krishnamachari Srikkanth – Col CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award
- Anjum Chopra – BCCI Lifetime Achievement Award for Women
- Deepti Sharma – Jagmohan Dalmiya Trophy for Best Woman Cricketer in senior domestic circuit
- Shafali – Jagmohan Dalmiya Trophy for Best Woman Cricketer in junior domestic circuit
Stay tuned for more interesting updates about Indian sports news.